Proposed National Licensing Scheme Scrapped, Industry Training Still Mandatory

Following a meeting of the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) in December 2013, it was agreed the proposed National Occupational Licensing Authority (NOLA) would not proceed.

The majority of States and Territories were not in favour of this scheme who continually raised concerns since the initiative was first released for comment in August 2012.

Instead, jurisdictions have agreed ‘to develop alternative options for minimising licensing impediments to improving labour mobility and deliver net benefits for businesses and governments.’

 Given the proposed national licensing regime will not go ahead, property licence and certificate holders in New South Wales are still required to undertake continuing professional development (CPD).

Michael Keenan, CEO of Real Coach said the industry lobbied extremely hard to ensure a fair and equitable approach was adopted.

‘Although this scheme had the potential to reduce the impost of applying for multiple licences, there were substantial cost implications and the proposed model was simply unworkable’ he said.

‘The way in which we buy, sell and manage property is significantly different across the country.  There is a need to harmonise these laws first before a national licensing system can be introduced’ Mr Keenan said.

Current New South Wales regulations stipulate property licence and certificate holders must obtain 12 training points each year that can be attained through courses conducted by Real Coach.

Details of the CPD course can be found at

Staff at Real Coach are available to provide expert advice regarding CPD requirements and other courses available to the industry.


For further information, please contact Real Coach by telephoning 1300 124 125.

Compliance 101 – Who Needs a Certificate or Licence

At Real Coach a common compliance question that is regularly asked is

“What role requires a Certificate or Real Estate Licence”.

Unfortunately due to the wording in the government legislation the answer isn’t always that clear, and it depends on the tasks a person performs and/or completes. Roles are not always clearly defined and there is a need to be flexible in the workplace but we must ensure that the person completing these tasks have the knowledge to do so.  It is important for you to know how to interpret the rules as the penalties for non- compliance are quite high.


We have prepare a simple FAQs to determine – Who needs a Certificate or Licence ?



Who needs a Certificate or Licence?

The Property Stock and Business Agents Act 2002 requires that all real estate employees that wish to be involved with any real estate transaction must hold either a Certificate of Registration or a Real Estate License. Therefore the following roles should hold either a Certificate of Registration or Real Estate Licence – Sales Manager, Salesperson, Sales Support, Sales Assistant, Property Manager, Property Officer, Leasing Clerk/Agent, Receptionist, Office Assistant, Auctioneer.


Should the receptionist/office assistant hold a Certificate of Registration?

Yes the receptionist/office assistant is required to hold at least a Certificate of Registration or a Licence. Anyone wishing or engaging in discussion with clients or prospects in relation to real estate matters.


Sales Support & Sales Assistant Roles – do they need to be qualified?

These roles generally cover duties collating information into seller reports, preparation of sales files, arranging property inspections, preparing property brochures and more. If the sales support/assistant is going to liaise with any sellers, buyers or prospects regarding real estate matters they need to hold a least a real estate certificate of registration or licence.


I am a Property Officer assisting the Property Manager do I need to have a Certificate of Registration?

Yes a Property Officer is required to hold at least a real estate certificate of registration or licence as there duties can include organising repairs, preparing lease documents, showing prospective tenants, checking references, collecting rent and more.


I only work part time/ on the weekend do I need to have a Certificate of Registration ?

Yes, you are required to hold a Certificate of Registration or License, even if the period of time working is limited to a couple of hours a week. If you are liaising with any clients, landlord, tenants, sellers, buyers or prospects on any level you need to be qualified.

If I want to be a Licensee in Charge ?

To enable to job promotion or development to a position as a Licensee in Charge you must a hold a Real Estate Agents Licence.